Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Inspired and food switches

I have truly become inspired.  It's amazing how you can go through your 20s and 30s not truly knowing what you want to do with your life.  I always feel the need to help others.  I am doing so much reading on health, nutrition, and workouts in general.  Everytime we get to the gym, I try something different, push my body, and the results feel great.  Now I am going to take the time to give back to my friends who have been reaching out to me and asking me in this past year what I have learned and done to get healthy.
I made a promise to some of my friends that are just starting their journey to a better way of life that I would provide some insight and encouragement.  First thing I want to say is make changes in baby steps, don't shock the body all at once, and in return it will make the transition easier.
First thing I did back in March 2011, I started with the 100 calorie packs, almonds/nuts, and yogurt for my snacks. For lunches, I bought the healthy choice and lean cuisine meals.  I started packing my lunch for work pretty much every day.  I did allow one day a week to go out and get what I wanted to for lunch.  Again, not shocking my body. This worked for me for about 2-4 months.  Next I will tell you what I changed for my breakfast last summer that made a difference and fueled my body even more!
My first step last March 2011 in getting healthy workout wise was I started going to Zumba class twice a week.  I know it wasn't alot, but for someone who was sedentary at a 8 hour desk job and then coming home and being sedentary it was good for me.  It wasn't a complete shock on my body and it was fun at the same time.  We had 4 girls from work that were going together so it made it something to look forward to.  That would be my suggestion, if you go to a class, find some friends to come along with you!   I stayed in the Zumba class mode till about the summer, then I will tell you more in the next blog what I added to my workout routines to kick it up a notch.
Did you know fact of the day? Laughter is the best medicine-- according to many doctors. In fact, a single laugh may boost your immune systems defenses for up to 3 days.








There are several exercises you can do to get started that don't take a lot of time or need a gym.  I found a lot of them on Pinterest and wanted to share it with you today. This is for someone who is starting to workout again and just beginning.  Try it in the morning if you have the time, it gets your metabolism going for one and two, you don't need a gym to do this so NO Excuses!  If you do the workout I put below, let me know if liked it, comment, let me know if it was too hard, easy, or not challenging enough.  It's a 20 day workout.  
Another thing I wanted to add today is French fries, especially fast food french fries has been something I have avoided for quite a while since I changed my eating habits.  I wanted to share with you what we have replaced ours with.


Not this:  (greasy french fries) 

Try this instead: (sweet potato fries).  We love this brand and get it our local BJ's store.  



Here is a photo of them not baked (left) and what they look like after they are baked (right).  They are soooo good.  Give them a try and let me know what you think.


Motivational Quote of the day:






Just a small personal update for me as of Feb 2012:  I started running as a goal to up my distance and train.  As of last night I am now up to 1.80 miles, that is my farthest distance to date.  The scale has moved 2 more pds this week adding for my total loss since last March (2011) of 34.6pds.  It has not been easy and it's a daily battle. I am also focusing on how hard I work out at the gym number wise, how much weight I can lift, reps I can, and how far I can push my body.  The scale is just a bonus.  I enjoy this life, all who are supportive and encourging,  and I want to help others who want to learn/get ideas from someone who has been there. 


Thank you for reading and if there is anything you want me to add in my next blog, let me know!

4 comments:

  1. Inspiring!!!!!! You really have accomplished so much, not only physically but mentally. I will continue to look to you as inspiration and motivation (no pressure, eh?) :)
    Thank you for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this... you have definately inspired me and made me realize I'm not too old to change.... It was a difficult 2 years for me in losing my 60lbs but I found that after I did that... I just stopped taking care of myself... This will help me get back on track... I wish they didn't have those 2 models in the excercise picture though... they dont look realistic to me... so, BREAKFAST?? what did you change to??? Thank you again for keeping up this post!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi everyone, thanks for the comments. I will be updating my blog again very soon and update what I changed up for breakfast and lunches as well as snacks. Anything else you want to see?

    ReplyDelete