Sunday, April 15, 2012

Creative Foods I made this weekend

This past Friday I went to the Farmers Market to stock up on my fruit and veggies for the week.  I definitely like to do this more in the Spring/Summer as the weather gets warmer.  I also like to look for ways to incorporate the ingredients I buy into items that I have stocked in my pantry.

This morning I was feeling really creative with my oatmeal.  I stumbled across a bag of whole ground flax seeds as well this past weekend at a wholesale store that I just couldn't pass up and I also added that to my oatmeal along with the fruts from the market.

So here it is!! 



Now, what's in here you ask?  Well for me, typically, I have associated Oatmeal with winter time and I was looking for a way to "Spring" it up so to speak.  I added half a apple diced (Red Delicious brand), 1/4 cup fresh blueberries, 1/4 teaspoon of flax seeds and ground cinnamon ( I use a spice container for the cinnamon and I used about 6 shakes- you can add more/less to your taste).

I generally heat up the oatmeal by itself first with the water (or milk if you desire) for 1min.  Then, I add the fruits/cinnamon, put it back in the microwave for another 50 sec, this way the apples, blueberries, and cinnamon blend together, then when it's all done, I mix in the flax seeds last.

This was my first time making this today.  It was VERY YUM and I will be making it again!!!

I also made some blueberry muffins today to eat as a mid morning or mid afternoon snack (you can also have these for breakfast on the go) I made them from the Betty Crocker snack pack size and only 120 calories per muffin.  I then added some Caramel/Cinnamon sprinkles from Tastefully Simple on top of the batter before baking them.  Here they are, fresh out of the oven...can't wait to try them!



Next blog I will show you how simple it is to make a healthy on the go egg sandwich in 5 mins or less, if you can spare 5 mins in the morning, you will avoid the drive thru's/takeout and your waistline will thank you!

Fitness update:  Marathon Running Training is going well.  I signed up for my first 5k which will be on 5/26/12 at 9am.  I am very excited.
 My strength on bench presses has gone up 10 pds, I know bench 40 pds in weights plus the bar of 45 pds for a total of 85pds! Yikes!  When I started really weight training with my boyfriend Marty, I could only bench the bar itself...I have come a long way.
My timed distance for running is getting better and I am using the app on my phone called Runkeeper to keep a log of it all.  They have a website also (www.runkeeper.com).  They track cycling, running, walking, etc.  Great app to just keep a distance/time log of all those kind of activities.  I really like it.
  Weight wise, I was maintaining for a while however, with my thyroid I can't eat like I used to be able to and I gained almost 10pds back in 3 weeks. The weight loss site I use had maintaince up around the 2k calorie range and for me, that isn't possible with the thyroid.  I ended up gaining some back.  I now know that won't work for my body. No worries though, my jeans (size 12) still fit and I am back to my normal calories of @1300-1500 a day and working on getting those 10pds back off.

Motivational Tip of the day: 


And did you know? :
Till next time, love yourself and be kind to your body! 

2 comments:

  1. I love it!!! Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You are an inspiration :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. GREAT GOING! KEEP IT UP, WITH THANKS FROM ALL OF US.

    ReplyDelete